Nordisk Morris Minor Lager A/S

Sri Lanka

October 2005

My days in Sri Lanka are full of surprises. As you may recall, I was convinced our taxi was quite original. Now that we have taken it apart, many odd things have surfaced.

It appears to be an early model with extensive "modernizations". The roof and dash have been replaced very skillfully. It was probably a split screen originally. In the rear inner wings we found jacking brackets from the very early models.

The company has moved to Pinnaduwa and we are resuming production in our new buildings. This is a significant improvement of working conditions for everyone – including me. Now I can get some exercise taking the half-hour walk to the company in the morning, and back to the bungalow at noon. This frees up my afternoon so I can work in the office, take a nap or whatever I feel like.

I am setting up my Morris garage in the previous workshop by the bungalow and hope to find the time to get some work done there myself.

This time I only managed to teach Dixon and Asiri how to dismantle a Morris properly. Unfortunately there was no time to teach them about identifying problems and evaluating the old parts. I have examined all the parts and will now be busy describing what needs doing and how. As I send them the work descriptions, they will collect the parts from my garage and carry out my instructions. I am planning for everything to be back and ready for assembly when I arrive in January.

Happy Banana is now reopened. There are still some things that need doing though. I gave Janet the last money in the account, Rs. 155.000, around 900 £. It came at a very convenient time, since he needed pots and pans and plates for the kitchen and restaurant. A few more jobs returned to normal.

I will now give an account of donations and use to the chief of police and stop my public fundraising. Help or donations are still very welcome but from now on it will be a private fundraising and the purpose will no longer solely be helping tsunami victims.

So much can be done - to great effect - with very few means.

The consequences of the tsunami are still serious, but have become more like "every-day-problems". The large aid organizations and many private organizations are helping a lot, but sometimes with little or no understanding of the conditions and many locals are taking advantage of the situation. Fishing boat production is being organized everywhere. Everyone realizes there is a massive over production, but naturally noone turns down a paid job.

This new workshop is on high ground and will be a pleasantly cool work place.

Many functions under one roof.

As soon as possible the painter will have his own building.

The area is looking more "lively".

Store house
The store house is still a bit messy. The trim shop has also been placed in this building temporarily.


Local traditions were followed when we moved the company. It is very strange to take part in a religious ceremony without understanding what is going on. I did my best and everyone was pleased. At exactly 7.10am on the 23rd of September I cut the band and everyone followed me into the office building. I was immediately chased out again, to remove my shoes. After that much happened that I did not understand and shortly after noon we finished off with a wonderful meal.

It is hard to sit in the same position for over an hour, not knowing when you will be able to stretch your legs again. The roll of thread I am holding goes all the way around every building and ends at the table with the monks.

Ending this part of the ceremony, the thread was tied around my wrist and cut.

A fire was made on the floor and a jar of milk was boiled until it spilled out.

Ronnie put something on his head that had been standing on an altar made from a chair, and carried it out the building.

Before commencing work the oil lamp is lit.

Shortly before noon, at exactly the "right time" I started the generator and Daminda started working.


Then the monks received presents and food. It was my job to serve them. Someone helped me fill a plate and I was then told to carry it around so everyone could touch it before I gave it to the oldest monk. When the monks had eaten and then left, we had a fantastic rice and curry.

Everything was made on the spot over a fire in very primitive conditions. All in all a very eventful and somewhat strange morning.

Anton Kamp